The San Pedro cactus, known scientifically as Trichocereus pachanoi, is one of several mescaline-bearing cacti used by various cultures for thousands of years. It is a hallucinogen with effects that range from euphoria to full-blown, vivid hallucinations. While today the San Pedro is enjoyed around the world as a natural psychedelic, indigenous Andean cultures long used the cactus in for divination purposes. As such, the cactus is used in both a recreational and spiritual context up to this very day.
Although the effects of psychedelic substances can be hard to accurately quantify, common effects experienced on San Pedro include: return of long-forgotten memories, extreme sensitivity to light and colour, synesthesia, altered perception of time, and open and closed-eye visuals. This last one is of particular interest to many mescaline users as the substance can elicit visual patterns of various types.
Overall, the experience is likened to that of other hallucinogens due to the sense of spiritual insight and connectivity that pervades. Effects kick in about 1–2 hours after ingestion and peak for another 2–4 hours before tapering down for another 8 or so hours.
It needs to be treated and taken with care, however. When you really take time to prepare for your San Pedro ceremony, the experience will be so much more worthwile. It is also very important to be guided afterwards so that you can integrate all your experiences into your daily life.
San Pedro preparation
While preparing for San Pedro, there is a few things that I find very important:
- Carefully checking in whether San Pedro is calling you. Ask yourself why you want to take San Pedro. Is it because it is popular or is it because your soul is asking you to the plant?
- Setting an intention for your journey. Energy is chaotic until it is has intensity and direction. The intensity the plant will take care of but the direction you need to take care of. It is good to really think about your intention and what you want to get out of the journey.
- Knowing what to expect a little bit. It can help to ask other people about their journeys or to read into San Pedro. Like this your mind will be able to relax more easy and you can surrender to the process. Surrender and trust are two of the most important ingredients during your journey.
I can help you with the preparation of your journey. We can have a conversation about where you are standing at this moment in life so that you can pick the right intention for your journey. I will also be able to see ahead so I can prepare you for what is about to unfold and set your mind at ease.
After San Pedro
You come home from the most magical journey. San Pedro has led you to places that you could never have imagined before.
But then you come back to your normal life and you wonder is this it? How can you match what happened during your journey to your daily life? Maybe this is where the challenge lies, because in the end it is about the integration of your experience. How will you allow ayahuasca to lift your life to a higher level.
I can help you in this process:
- Holding space for you to talk about what you experienced during your journey. I will be able to travel with you so can understand at a deep level what you went through. Talking about the experience can help a lot in integrating and understanding the experience
- Actively thinking about how you can integrate the insights that you have received into your life. Making San pedro practical and allowing it to boost your daily life.
- Further healing trauma that was opened after your San Pedro experience. Sometimes San Pedro opens up blockages inside of our body so that they start to move. This is amazing because like this they can move out. But sometimes they need a little bit more taking care of. I can help you move them out of your system so that you can really heal the trauma inside of you.
Take plant medicine serious. Take yourself serious.
If you take yourself serious, you also take your San Pedro journey serious by preparing it in a good way and integrating it afterwards.
Are you curious about what I can do for you? Reach out for a free 10-minutes video call to explain the options.